sábado, 19 de marzo de 2011

WOPG Newsletter - Wishing and longing, an update from India, and aid for the displaced in Pakistan


Words of Peace Global
From our blog
 
Last Night I Googled Longing
 
Last night I googled longing. What I found surprised me. Ninety percent of the images were women. Women dreaming. Women staring out windows. Women brushing their golden hair beneath the full moon. Oh... and lots of goddesses, too. Where were the men? Hunting buffalo? Watching the Superbowl? Mowing the lawn?
 
 

Longing
The Wishing Game
 
We learn the wishing game very early — from the time we learn to speak and perhaps even earlier. We start by wishing for certain toys and, once we have those particular toys, we continue to wish for other toys. I remember as a little girl pressing my face against the glass window of a toy store and desiring a particular dolly — it was always a new and more beautiful one that I wanted. And I demanded that my mother buy her for me. At first it was a polite pleading, then a more insistent one. Publicly embarrassed, she rationally explained to me that she didn't have the money to buy the wretched thing. Then, when she downright refused, I lay on the ground waving my arms and legs in the air, screaming at the top of my voice, “I want it… I want it… I want itnow”. Well, that was the first time she smacked me and apparently I never again behaved in such a spoilt way. But it didn't stop me wishing. After all, wishing is driven by the desire to be happy. That perpetual longing to be happy is innate in all of us.
 
 

On the road

Report: Events in Delhi - March 2011

After two days of talks in Malaysia, Maharaji arrived in India to begin another tour across the country. Two small, impromptu events were held in the capital of New Delhi, where he met casually with various people before flying to Bihar to speak in Gaya and Ranchi.
 
Read more
 

Humanitarian aid
 
For 5,000 villagers in Pakistan's devastated Khyber-Pakhtunkhawa (KPK) Province, the gift of nutritious food is the first step on the road back to normal family life.
A $40,000 donation from TPRF to Shirkat Gah - Women's Resource Centre (SG), a women's rights organization experienced in coordinating relief and rehabilitation activities in the region, funded the distribution of monthly food packets for three months to families of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) returning to their homes in the village of Tindodag.
Restoring Hope and Dignity to Pakistani Refugees
Copyright © Words of Peace Global

Words of Peace Global | P.O. Box 2745, 1000 CS Amsterdam | The Netherlands

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario